Science @ U of G
Guelph’s Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) program offers you access to some of the world’s most respected research scientists and educators, as well as outstanding research and teaching facilities.
This dynamic degree program prepares students for entry in to professional programs such as human or veterinary medicine, rehabilitation sciences such as physiotherapy or occupational therapy or dentistry, pharmacy or optometry. Our students are also well prepared to enter into research at the graduate level and pursue careers with governmental and for-profit organizations.
What are you interested in?
The Bachelor of Science offers 27 different majors to choose from including 13 majors with a co-op option.
Please follow the links below for further information regarding each of our majors.
B.Sc. Honours Majors - Major Focused in the Area of Biological Science
- Animal Biology
- Biochemistry (Co-op option available)
- Biological Sciences
- Biomedical Toxicology (Co-op option available)
- Bio-Medical Science
- Environmental Biology
- Food Science (Co-op option available)
- Human Kinetics
- Marine and Freshwater Biology (Co-op option available)
- Microbiology (Co-op option available)
- Molecular Biology and Genetics (Co-op option available)
- Nutritional and Nutraceutical Sciences
- Plant Science (Co-op option available)
- Wildlife Biology and Conservation (Co-op option available)
B.Sc. Honours - Majors Focused in the Area of Physical Science
- Biological and Pharmaceutical Chemistry (Co-op option available)
- Biological and Medical Physics (Co-op option available)
- Chemical Physics (Co-op option available)
- Chemistry (Co-op option available)
- Environmental Geomatics (Co-op option available)
- Mathematical Science
- Nanoscience (Co-op option available)
- Physical Science
- Physics (Co-op option available)
- Theoretical Physics
If you are in the Honours program, you also have the option of declaring a minor in science or non-science subjects (but a minor is not required). You do not declare a minor when you apply to the University of Guelph - but you can do so at any time once you have begun your studies. You may want to talk to the Faculty Advisor for the minor or your Program Counsellor before you do declare a minor.
Requirements for some minors are listed after those for the major, so please scroll down.
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Nutritional & Nutraceutical Sciences
- Plant Science
- List of Additional Acceptable Electives (1.0 credits) for the Zoology minor.
- Applied Geomatics (AG)
- Ecology minor
- Geographic Information Systems (G.I.S.) and Environmental Analysis (2019/20 Calendar and previous)
The following Liberal Education minors are available:
- Art History
- Arts Management
- Arts, Culture and Heritage Management (effective for 17/18 - 20/21 Calendars)
- Black Canadian Studies
- Business Administration (15/16 Calendar & previous)
- Business Data Analytics
- Business Economics
- Classical Studies
- Creative Writing
- Criminal Justice and Public Policy Update! Please see this important update from CJPP regarding the suspension of the minor
- Culture and Technology Studies
- European Culture & Civilization (20/21 Calendar & previous)
- Family and Child Studies
- French Studies
- Human Resources
- International Business
- International Development Studies
- Media & Cinema Studies
- Museum Studies
- Political Science
- Project Management
- Sexualities, Genders and Social Change
- Spanish and Hispanic Studies
- Sport and Event Management
- Studio Art
- Sustainable Business
- Theatre Studies
Not sure what you want out of your degree?
The Bachelor of Science offers a general degree option that gives you flexibility in your education and an expedited graduation. View the comparison between the B.Sc. General degree versus the B.Sc. Honours degree:
B. Sc. General Degree
- 15 credits, ~3 years
- Access to same types of courses as Honours degree
- Would meet the minimum degree requirements for some professional school programs*
B. Sc. Honours
- 20 credits ~ 4 years
- Major is declared (e.g. Animal Biology, Physics, Bio-Medical Science, Chemistry, Biological Science)
- Minor can be added to the degree
- Co-op is an option for majors with Co-op
- Increased number of 3000 and 4000 level credits
- Required to go on to graduate work e.g. Master"s and Ph.D.
- Would meet minimum degree requirements for all professional programs *
*Students are responsible to review and ensure that appropriate pre-requisite courses are completed within their degree to meet the necessary admission requirements for professional program(s) they wish to apply to. The B.Sc. general and honours degrees do not automatically include all pre-requisite courses needed to apply to all professional programs.