Transfer Students

Welcome to the Bachelor of Science degree at the University of Guelph! Although you are not new to post-secondary education, it is likely that you will have a number of questions. Below is a list of the most frequently asked.

In my offer of admission letter, it lists a number of transfer credits. What do these codes mean?

Transfer credits will fall into one of three categories:

Exact Equivalent

Transfer credits that appear with a course code and name that can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar are courses that you have been granted exact credit. For example, if

BIOL 1090 Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology

appears on your letter, then a course that you took at your previous institution covered the same material as this course. The course will count towards your degree and program requirements, and you will not need to take it here at U of G.

Same Topic Generic

Transfer credits for which the University of Guelph has a comparable subject area, but not an exact course equivalent will appear as follows:

BIOL 9110 1000 level Biology

The subject area is Biology, the first digit, '9' means the credit is generic or unspecified, the second digit indicates the year level of the content (1-first year, 2-second year, etc.) and the remaining two digits indicate that it is a transfer credit. These credits may be used toward your electives within the degree but generally not towards any specific credits for your major/minor.


Transfer credits for which the University of Guelph does not offer courses in that specific subject area.

FREE 9110 Free Elective

These would only be applied as a Free Elective (not a Science Elective nor Liberal Education elective) towards your B.Sc. degree requirements.

If you have been assigned a generic credit for a previous course that you believe has an exact University of Guelph equivalent, please contact Admission Services to investigate whether it is possible to revise your transfer credit assessment.

How do my transfer credits fit into my new program?

Transfer credits become part of your completed course work. How they fit into your new program will depend on the type of credit you have been given. Look at the Schedule of Studies for your major in the Undergraduate Calendar. Compare those courses to the transfer credits on your Letter of Admission. If the transfer credit is exactly the same course code, then you have met that requirement. If there is not an exact equivalent the course may then count as an elective.

Please consult a Program Counsellor for advice if you have any questions regarding how your transfer credits may be applied or possible substitutions. You can also have a look at your Program Evaluation, available on WebAdvisor. Here you see the list of required credits for your major and your transfer credits will be applied accordingly.

Where do I find a list of my required courses?

You can find the required courses for your major in the B.Sc. section of the Undergraduate Calendar.

The Undergraduate Calendar Year that you are required to follow is determined by when you were admitted. If you are beginning your studies at the University of Guelph in September of 2016, you will be required to follow the Schedule of Studies for the 2016/17 Undergraduate Calendar.
The course codes listed in the Schedule of Studies are linked to the calendar description. The course description will tell you which semester a course is offered in, whether Summer, Fall, Winter; the credit weight of the course (often [0.50]); provide a brief description of the course and list any prerequisites or restrictions for the course.

How long will it take me to graduate?

In order to graduate with a University of Guelph Honours Bachelor of Science Degree students are required to complete a minimum of 20.0 credits, including required courses for the major plus Restricted Electives, Science, Liberal Education and Free Electives (as applicable). As transfer credits are included in your total credits earned, you may need to complete more than 20.0 credits to satisfy your degree requirements. How long it will take to graduate will therefore depend on the number and type of transfer credits granted.

When do I pick my courses?

Once you have accepted your Offer of Admission you will be contacted by Enrolment Services with details on the course selection process. New Student Registration for the Fall semester typically begins in June or July. It is best to choose your courses as early as possible once course selection begins. You will be choosing only your Fall courses at that time; course selection for the Winter semester takes place in November.

Where do I find information on dates, fees, regulations, etc.?

The Undergraduate Calendar is a comprehensive on-line publication that contains all this information and more. It is a good starting point if you are looking for information.

Fees, scholarships, OSAP and tuition information can be found on the Student Financial Services website.